…things in Iowa are much the same with the exception of our federal Members of Congress where we are sending a completely Republican delegation to the House and the Senate. Our State Legislature continues to have a Republican majority in the house and now has a Republican super majority in the senate.
What that means for us, is we have a LOT of work to do! And we’re up to the challenge here at ICAN. By honoring our over forty years of activism, we will continue to work, speaking up for those who can’t afford a high-priced lobbyist, but have a stake in what is going on both at the Federal and State levels.
The contributions of thousands of Iowans help us continue our work.
It’s easy to donate to ICAN or for a tax deductible contribution, designate our Education Foundation: ICAN-EF
Iowa Citizen Action Network, 941 – 25th Ave, PMB 335, Coralville, IA 52241
Or you can make your secure on-line contribution by going to www.iowacan.org/educationfund for your tax-deductible contribution
(If the deduction isn’t important to you click on the donate tab)
We know we can’t do it alone!
We are committed to continuing our work together and reshaping the conversation around progressive themes and values… the true American Dream, where every person has inherent human worth. We are all in this together. We all benefit from decisions which serve the common good. Government is of the people, by the people, and for the people, there is social, racial, economic and environmental justice for all and all citizens are cared for and respected. Why do we do this? We do it because it is the RIGHT thing to do. We do it in defense of the true American Dream.
As we move forward, we will continue to honor our nearly 45 year history of creating social change in Iowa and across the nation.
Here’s some of what we’ve been up to this past year:
- We worked with our partners and allies to stop the school voucher bill because public dollars belong in public schools.
- We fought to keep the bottle bill alive in Iowa with some changes.
- We stood with our allies at the Iowa Alliance for Justice around Medical Malpractice caps. Iowa juries will continue to decide the value of a human life in court cases that involve medical negligence and commercial vehicle crashes – NOT politicians because we know it is our Constitutional right to trial by jury and it must be protected.
- We advocated for the landmark bi-partisan Infrastructure Bill which will add: $3.4 billion in highway aid; $432 million for bridge replacement and repairs; $638 million to improve water infrastructure; $305 million for public transportation; $120 million for airport infrastructure and upgrades; $100 million+ for expanded broadband internet coverage; and $15 million to protect against cyberattacks.
- In a major victory for millions of Americans we fought for and celebrated the passage of the Inflation Reduction Act by House and Senate Democrats which contains historic improvements to Medicare and health coverage, requiring tax-dodging corporations to pay what they owe, delivers the largest investment in climate action in U.S. history
- We are leading the Lower Drug Prices Now campaign in Iowa because we know that no matter where people live, what they look like or what’s in their wallets, everyone deserves affordable medicine to have the best chance at healthy lives. We need guarantees when it comes to prescription medications. The greed from drug corporations and their powerful lobbyists are threatening our health and our pocketbook.